Gorilla Habituation Experience in Uganda
Gorilla Habituation Experience involves staying longer with the Gorillas learning how they stay in their days. While habituating the Gorillas you move with groups of people like the trackers, conservationists, trackers, researchers and rangers who have stayed in the presence of the Gorillas for 2 to 3 years nurturing them to get used to people.
The Gorilla Habituation experience is restricted to only 4 people each day who stay in the presence of the Gorillas for 4 hours.
The Gorilla Habituation Experience permit costs US $1500 per person and the experience takes place in the Rushaga Section of Bwindi Forest National Park
Difference between Gorilla Trekking and Gorilla Habituation Experience
- Gorilla habituation experience is gives you an opportunity to stay in the presence of the majestic Gorillas in groups pf 4 for 4 hours as compared to Gorilla trekking where you watch the Gorillas for 1 hour in 8 groups.
- Gorilla habituation experience gives you more time to learn more about the Gorillas’ way of life as you take various photos to keep, feed, build nests, watch them interact and groom themselves.
- Gorilla Habituation Experience costs US $1500 per person as you watch the Gorillas for long compared to Gorilla Trekking which costs US $700 per person watching them for 1 hour.
- Two Gorilla Groups have been chosen in Bwindi Forest National Park’s Rushaga & Nkuringo Sector that can be watched while on habituation experience and these include; Bikyinji Gorilla family with 22 members and the Bushaho family.
How is the Gorilla Habituation Experience in Bwindi
Travelers that book for Gorilla Habituation Experience gather at the Bwindi Forest National Park headquarters in Rushaga to be briefed on the code of conduct around the Mountain Gorillas before staring their experience at 8:00 am.
Minimum age to do the Gorilla habituation experience is 15 years and all interested travelers should be physically fit as the entire process requires you to move from one point to another watching the Gorillas throughout their daily lives.\
As you follow the Gorillas for 4 hours, make sure to follow the required rules and regulations like; do not use flash camera lights, keep a distance of 7 meters off the Gorillas, Do not imitate or try to make fun of Gorillas, Don’t make noise while in the presence of the Gorillas etc.
Best Time to go Gorilla Habituation Experience
Gorilla Habituation experience can be done anytime around the year however, the Best Time to go on your habituation experience in Uganda is during high season from December to March and June to October and the low season from April, May, October, or November.
Due to the high demand for Gorilla Habituation Experience from tourists, there are few permits provided per day hence we recommend you book your permit earlier i.e 6 months prior to your Date of arrival.
What to wear for your Gorilla Habituation Experience
- Gardening gloves
- A hut/ Cap.
- Long trousers not jeans
- A rain jacket
- Bottles of drinking water, snacks.
- Hiking/ Trekking shoes
- A good camera
- A walking stick
- Insect repellents to protect you from mosquito bites.